Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Little Introduction

I'm gonna let you know exactly what you're in for right away, this will be me talking about movies, that's it. I won't be doing movie news or anything like that, this isn't a horrid attempt at a geek news site. I'm simply going to discuss movies, and on occasion, the movie business. This is nothing more than a movie geek who is so hopelessly obsessed that he needs some outlet to post his random musings, and what better (free) forum than the internet to do this?

So here's how things are gonna work out if you should happen to find this and dig it. I have absolutely no knowledge about setting up anything here, so what you see is what you're gonna get. The idea here will be to keep things simple, we're just gonna talk about movies(yes, movies, not "cinema"). Generally speaking, I guess you could call what I'm gonna write a review, but really they're nothing more than thoughts I have about films as I see them. I'd say expect about four to five updates a week, but with no set schedule, they'll be posted as they're posted. Also, there won't be any consistency to the films discussed, it'll just be what I have on my mind at the moment.

So with that I figure I could tell you a bit about my film tastes and whatnot so you get an idea of what you're in for.

I like to think I have no bias towards any film, although we all know this to be false. My favorite genre fits into that whole realm of Crime/Gangster/Film Noir. I have no problem with the abstract and avant garde. Like most people I believe story to be the most important single element of a good narrative movie, but I hold it in much lower regard than most people. I'll like films that make little to no sense and tell less than compelling stories if other aspects of it should be exceptional. The general scale I use to look at films(assuming they're narrative) would look something like:
40% story
30% character
30% technical aspects
Course it all changes from film to film, but that's a good solid starting point.

Quick rundown
Ten Favorite Movies:
1. Chungking Express
2. The Godfather + Part II
3. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
4. Once Upon a Time in America
5. Magnolia
6. American Beauty
7. Seven Samurai
8. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
9. Pulp Fiction
10. After Hours

Ten Favorite Directors:
1. Martin Scorsese
2. Wong Kar-Wai
3. Alfred Hitchcock
4. Sergio Leone
5. Paul Thomas Anderson
6. Christopher Nolan
7. Edgar Wright
8. Brian De Palma
9. Stanley Kubrick
10. Sam Raimi
Okay, that's all for now, I'll have a proper first post either later tonight or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment