Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Ten Romantic Movies for People Who Hate Romantic Movies



This is just something I've been mulling over for a while. Nowadays, the general perception of a romantic movie is what I would describe as The Notebook or a knock off of The Notebook. My friend summed up his thoughts on romantic movies as such, "Two people about to kiss, eyes closed, beautiful backdrop."

In my opinion it's kind of bullshit that the general idea of a romantic movie has been tainted into this homogenized, pre-packaged vanilla on a waffle cone. So here is my attempt at making a list of movies, that in my opinion are romantic, but also, how do I put this, isn't exploitation cinema for lonely women. And guess what? There's even movies here that guys will like!

In alphabetical order:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (dir. Michel Gondry)

The Graduate (dir. Mike Nichols)

Happy Together (dir. Wong-Kar Wai)

In the Mood for Love (dir. Wong-Kar Wai)

Phantom of the Paradise (dir. Brian De Palma)

Punch-Drunk Love (dir. P.T. Anderson)

True Romance (dir. Tony Scott)

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (dir. Jacques Demy)

Wall-E (dir. Andrew Stanton)

Wild at Heart (dir. David Lynch)

Looking at the list, I'd say that with the exception of maybe In the Mood for Love, and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg all of these movies can be enjoyed by anybody. Although I do think The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is the greatest romantic movie ever made.

Also note that In the Mood for Love is the middle part of a trilogy starting with Days of Being Wild, and concluding with 2046.

No comments:

Post a Comment