Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Instant Queue Recommendations

Since I'm gonna do this all the way, I figure I'll do other things with this as well. This will be a quick thing where I'll recommend movies that are available on Netflix Instant Stream. Most people I know have the service, and if you don't you should really get on it. The sheer amount offered for the price is pretty staggering.

Anyway, I'll do one of these every once in a while when I find things that perhaps you may not have seen.

1. Hoop Dreams: I'm not particularly fond of basketball, but this documentary, which follows two boys from their freshman year of high school all the way through their first year of college is amazing. The filmmakers spent 5 years with these families, and the result is absolutely amazing.

2. Sisters: The film briefly mentioned earlier today. If you're feeling in the mood for a thriller with some pitch black comedy then check this out. I actually had to turn the lights back on for this flick... also, you see Lois Lane's boobies.

3. Yojimbo: Come on, this is just one you need to see. The samurai flick that influenced A Fistful of Dollars.

4. Happy Together: This Hong Kong flick is still one of the best depictions of a mutually abusive relationship I've ever seen. Won Wong Kar-Wai the best director award at the Cannes Film Festival.

5. Mean Streets: Scorsese's first big flick, and the film that defined how people saw him as a director. It's amazing how many people use the term Mean Streets to describe his crime flicks without ever having actually seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment